Christmas music is everywhere, the jolly spirit of the holidays is ubiquitous, and the economy always gets a nice push around this time of year. It’s magical and awesome…. for some people. Now I’m not hating on the holidays, I like some parts of it- but I’m just not ready yet OK?
Thus this is what to expect from my blog this month-
- week 1- what I despise
- week 2- what I love
- week 3- what I wish for
- week 4- my holiday wishes/new year’s resolutions!
So now that I have prepared you for this week, I promise fairness and I won’t be too terrible.
Allie’s WHY-I-DESPISE-CHRISTMAS-but fairly-LIST:
1. I really cannot stand Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. Yeah, I know this is a weird thing to despise about the holidays but I cannot believe this plays at Christmas time, on all those music stations. I have never really hated anything as much as this song.
2. I despise shopping with tons of indecisive holiday shoppers. I love grocery shopping (little known fact) but all these people walking around having no idea what they want and staring at the same carton of egg nog for an hour right in the middle of the aisle kills me! And old women are the worst. One woman elbowed me for a box of angel hair pasta. ELBOWED me. Sure I won’t elbow you back because you are old and possibly made of gingersnaps and peppermint tea, but you better watch out….
3. New York is already a fast paced place, but add the need to get somewhere quicker because of a holiday party or a shopping spree for gifts, and people get out of control. Slow down, that Xbox Kinect will still be there in 10 minutes and you don’t need to run down the street and then slip and cause a domino effect, which I saw yesterday on the bus on Madison Ave.
4. The Christmas Story plays for 24 hours straight. I have never seen this movie, and I don’t plan to, but I would like a little variety on TV. Also, pretty much all these made for TV Christmas movies with C-D list actors. Just saying.
5. Last but not least, I despise that I have no one special to celebrate the holidays with; no one to decorate with and watch some holiday movies I love with, no one to really buy gifts for except LoML although he’s far away so I can’t even enjoy the pleasure of giving someone something they want and their happiness. I think what I’m trying to say is that I despise how lonely this season can make a person like me feel.
There you have it, my top 5 reasons for despising the season. Next week, I’ll tell you why I love it! See you next time.